China 2019

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

China 2019

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 pm

So on the 2nd of August I flew to Ulanbaatar and then to Beijing. What suprised me was crowdedness and noise everywhere but It can be atributed to the fact that it was a vacation time for the Chinese people as well.
In Beijing on the 3rd of August I went through hutongs to a city lake with a garden- Park Beihai. There were many beautiful Nelumbo nucifera plants, some of wich were flowering. Among many non-wildlife attractions in that park there was a "Nine Dragon Screen"- as you see dragons in China don't have wings.
In that park there were some Trachemys scripta elegans in a moat.

In evening we went to a restaurant to eat a supper and I noticed a Pelodiscus sinensis in aquarium in that restaurant- one could ask for a dish out of that turtle.

I tried to do some city herping after sunset but it was not successful.

The following day we went to Temple of Heaven. This is a very important religious place, emperor used to do religious rituals there. Of course it was very crowded. I found there pictures of a Chinese mythical creature- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_turtle

There were many pictures of dragons as well- for example as building ornaments.

The next day was for The Great Wall. It was not very spectacular. I tried to find some lacertids but I noticed only a toad (Bufo gargarizans) from top of the wall. However there were quite many nice millipedes but I dont know what species they are of.

The next day we went to another "must see" place- Emperror's Summer Palace. It is next to a lake and there are also smaller ponds full of water lillies and lotuses. In such a pond I spotted basking young Chinese Softshell Turtle but it escaped under water the moment I aimed photo lens at it. :( However not long after that moment I found less fearfull animal nearby- Elaphe anomala. This species is not seen often!

Then we went to Jingshan Park to have a look at the Forbidden City from a hill. It was already dark but we took a subway to Tiananmen Square. We were not allowed to enter the square though. Nearby there is Mao Zedong mausoleum, National Museum of China, Monument to the People's Heroes, and Archery Tower, Great Hall of the People (parliament).

The next day, in the morning, we went to admire beautiful, buddhist Lama Temple. We tried to get into Confucius Temple as well but unfortunately it was already closed. After that we got a fast train (even 300km/h) to Luoyang . In the train I met a biotechnology professor and we talked a bit.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Luoyang, Shaolin, Xi'an

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm

So we arrived at Luoyang- the first capital city of China. In train stations there are usually many men offering transportation with their private cars. Since almost no one in China knows English, to talk with Chinese people you need a translator in a smarpthone. Chinese people are, as it is said, friendly without being polite. If you are a blonde girl then some Chinese people will probably ask for a photo with you.

Shaolin
It was a disappointment, many tourists, shops and consumerism in general and little authenticity.

A dragon turtle being touched by tourists for good luck.

Another dragon turtle

That day we were also taken to Longmen Grottoes. The huge rock reliefs of Buddha and others were impressive.

Another day in Luoyang was dedicated to botanical garden, fortunately it was not crowded. There were parents with kids and the kids were catching fish into bottles.
There were pictures of mythical creatures as well.

I managed to take photos of Pelophylax nigromaculatus. They are quite small frogs.

These frogs were sitting in vegetation adjacent to a canal and they were jumping back to water when frightened.

Then we took fast train to Xi'an. There we visited a Terracotta Army but- no suprise- it was very crowded so I didnt like the experience. We also made a trip to Huashan mountain because my mother read in a travel magazine that it is a nice place but it was a disaster, we waited several hours in a line to get up there. Among products for sale there I noticed Crocodile Newts being sold as Phrynocephalus vlangalii- animal used in traditional medicine to treat problems of respiratory system etc.
ImageTylototriton sp. by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageTylototriton sp. by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

1 dead newt costed 18 yuans so 2.4€.

In Xi'an I found Lithobates catesbeianus and Trachemys scripta elegans being sold in a market as food. Sorry for poor quality of the photo but it was taken with a phone camera (taking photos there was illegal).

ImageLithobates catesbeianus and Trachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr
Michal Szkudlarek

wulingyuan national park

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 pm

Wulingyuan National Park was our next destination. It is famous for its sandstone pillars. Not long after entering I found Sphrenomorphus indicus near a stream.
ImageSphrenomorphus indicus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Sphrenomorphus indicus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Unfortunately that national park had loudspeakers masked as logs so there was no silence to relax. We took Bailong Elevator, then took some photos of the pillars and then spotted macaques from a bridge. After that we took a bus or two and then took a cablecar to take us down. From the cablecar I noticed a path uphill that looked wild so I dediced to go there the next day. It was already dark so there were many people outdoors, selling, buying or eating in restaurants (the Chinese love it) and next to one of restaurants we found a Giant Chinese Salamander being displayed to show customers that you can eat exclusive dish out of this animal in that particular restaurant (it costed 500 CNY so about 63.5€).

ImageAndrias davidianus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

The next day I went to that wild path that turned out to be closed but it was not a problem for me. When going there I noticed a lacertid that was later identified by Siegfried Troidl as Takydromus wolteri. Kevin Messenger, American herpetologist working in China, on the other hand wrote that it is either a new species or Takydromus kuehnei or Takydromus intermedias.
ImageTakydromus kuehnei cf. intermedias by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Takydromus kuehnei cf. intermedias by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I found similar looking lizard in Yangshuo but I didnt manage to take photo of it.

Then going to the path I noticed another lizard- this time a skink

ImageSphenomorphus indicus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Sphenomorphus indicus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

The path was leading me along a stream in which I found, I suppose, Allopaa sp. tadpoles.
ImageAllopaa sp. (?) by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageAllopaa sp. (?) by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Allopaa sp. by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

There was also a skink

The path was really wild, I met no human there. I reached the top, took a cablecar way down and outside the national park I found a big skink.

Imagehabitat of Sphenomorphus indicus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I found also some tadpoles but I have no idea what species they belong to.
Imagea tadpole by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of unidentified tadpoles and shrimps by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

There was a river next to that place and kids were catching shrimps there.

After buying some water I returned to national park and found a reserve for Giant Chinese Salamanders that had no amphibians at all.
ImageNature reserve for Andrias davidianus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

One of the reasons for lack of salamanders was the fact that a kayaking contest was held there as suggested by banners- you can see them in left part of the photo above.

In evening I saw the same Chinese Giant Salamander in front of a restaurant again, it was beautiful.
Michal Szkudlarek

Guilin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 pm

We took a flight to Guilin which is more south. It was Ghost Festival day so I was fortunate enough to witness a religious ceremony in a buddhist temple, there were also people burning joss paper and incenses. In evening next to water people were making a bonfires and firing firecrackers. That day I went to a West Hill Park, I had to pay entrance fee because parks arent usually for free in China. The park had many flowers and butterflies and it was not crowded so I had great time. In a lake I noticed a turtle that I think is Mauremys reevesii because Mauremys mutica that is native to the area looks differently.

ImageMauremys reevesii; Guilin by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Mauremys reevesii by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Nearby I noticed another turtle, this time even smaller, but I didn't manage to catch it or take photo of it.

Of course there were skinks as well.

In that park one could see many pots with lotuses and among them there was a frog that escaped so I was unable to identify it but I think it was a Polypedates.
Michal Szkudlarek

Yangshuo- even more south than Guilin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm

We took a river cruise to reach Yangshuo. Sights during the cruise were magnificent.
Our hotel was in a wild place, it had some artificial ponds where I found Duttaphrynus melanostictus.
ImageDuttaphrynus melanostictus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Duttaphrynus melanostictus and Sylvirana guentheri by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

The toads were to be found in hotel grounds, on land, even during daytime. The pond above later turned out to be inhabited by another common Anura of Yangshuo- Sylvirana guentheri. I have seen this species in Singapore before, but it is not native there.
ImageSylvirana guentheri by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then i walked downhill to see neighbourhood, I noticed a lake and there were many Sylvirana guentheri around- on land. I noticed also a toad from distance - Duttaphrynus melanostictus .
Imagehabitat of Sylvirana guentheri by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I passed the lake and found more toads, one of them was trapped in a water tank.

Imagehabitat of Duttaphrynus melanostictus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then I went to a shop and there were more Sylvirana guentheri in almost dried canal along a road.
Imagehabitat of Sylvirana guentheri by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I also noticed some DOR toads

When going back to my hotel room I noticed 2 adult Polypedates frogs behind a flat wooden ornament.
Imagehabitat of Polypedates megacephalus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImagePolypedates megacephalus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Another toad from hotel property.

The next day I went to flip some trash near hotel but I didnt find any herps. I had not found anything new untill I went to a plantation after sunset with a torch. It was where I found Microhyla fissiceps in quite big density. There were also Sylvirana guentheri.

ImageSylvirana guentheri, juvenile by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Sylvirana guentheri and Microhyla fissiceps

Imagehabitat of Microhyla fissiceps by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageMicrohyla fissiceps by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

size comparison

The next day next to the hotel I saw Plestiodon elegans for a moment, I was not quick enough to take photo if it but I have a photo of the habitat. It on that stone wall.
Imagehabitat of Plestiodon elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Nearby I found also a lacertid!
Imagehabitat of Takydromus cf. kuehnei by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageTakydromus cf. kuehnei by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then we took a minivan with a driver to get south and there we walked a bit and visited Totem Ancient Trail which was a bit of disappoitment for me.
ImageTrachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

After that we went to a moon hill even though there was no sidewalk. When we were returning to Yangshuo I again visited the place that had something big running away from me several hours beforehand. But this time I was successful and I managed to take a photo of a big skink.
ImagePlestiodon chinensis by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImagePlestiodon chinensis by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Plestiodon chinensis by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

When we reached Yangshuo city center we took a look at market where softshell turtles were being sold.
ImagePelodiscus parviformis by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ventral view
ImagePelodiscus parviformis by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I went to McDonald near West Street and then to a city park. There were old people singing and playing traditional musical instruments which was nice. After sunset I decided to go back to hotel to take more photos of Microhyla nearby.

This photo was taken the next day, in daylight there were no Microhylas seen in that time of day though.
Imagehabitat of Microhyla fissiceps by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

When i was herping for Microhyla my family and friends were in city center and they took there a photo of these poor turtles that were sold as toys-pets. ;(

There were also snakes sold as food, among scorpions, centipedes, spiders etc.

The next day started with exploring neighbourhood. I found a decapitated snake but I dont know what species it is.
Imagekilled snake by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagekilled snake by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

I took some photos of a lacertid again.

Then I went downhill to make a loop. On my way I found DOR pit viper.
ImageTrimeresurus albolabris by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageTrimeresurus albolabris by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Trimeresurus albolabris by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Since Google Maps doesn't work well in China I installed Maps.me to my smartphone and it showed me a possible route to take to make a loop through neighbourhood. I took that route, passed a nice waterfall, then something looking like a black, small skink ran away from me. But the track became too overgrown so I had to back down. I had little time before departure so I decided to herp close to hotel. I found moult of an unidentified snake.
Imagesnake's moult by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then I found an artificial pond without fish, it had Sylvirana guentheri sitting by the water and Duttaphrynus melanostictus- adult, juveniles and tadpoles.

Imagehabitat of Duttaphrynus melanostictus and Sylvirana guentheri by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

On a wall and adjacent vegetation and in litter a lacertid was found again, this time a juvenile.

Michal Szkudlarek

Hangzhou

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 pm

In Hangzhou I was supposed to find Cynops orientalis in the botanical garden. When going there I spotted Polypedates megacephalus tadpoles in high density in a man-made water body.
Imagehabitat of tadpoles of Polypedates megacephalus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImagePolypedatus megacephalus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

In the botanical garden there were some information boards saying that there are Pelophylax plancyi, Rana zhenhaiensis, Polypedates leucomystax, Rhacophorus dennysi, Fejervarya limnocharis, Babina adenopleura, Microhyla heymosi, Microhyla ornata, Hyla chinensis, Bufo gargarizans in that park however I couldnt hear or see them near that information boards. Then I entered a pavilon which hosted an exhibition of fish in aquariums. When going to the place which was supposed to have newts I noticed some skinks.

The park was quiet and it was not crowded so it was great to be there. When I walked more uphill I reached some ponds however I couldnt spot newts there :(

However frogs could be heared, I soon found some, thinking they are Rana chensinensis. They turned out to be Babina adenopleura though.
ImageBabina adenopleura by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Babina adenopleura by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then I reached mountain top, left the park and when going downhill I found some water reservoirs that had tadpoles inside.

Unfortunately I dont know what species this tadpole below belongs to.

There was also Babina adenopleura next to one of reservoirs.

I was descending further down going between graves- saw them in wild places in Yangshuo as well. It started to thunder and then a downpour so I ran down to hide under a roof of the closest building. I waited a bit and then started my way back to hotel. In my way there I couldnt resist to take a closer look at a pond and I found there Pelophylax plancyi and Bufo gargarizans.
Imagehabitat of Pelophylax plancyi and Bufo gargarizans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImagePelophylax plancyi by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageBufo gargarizans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

After that I took a walk through a beautiful bamboo forest and along West Lake back to hotel.
The next day we took a subway to get to Qinghefang Ancient Street. We had to walk by foot a bit but there were no wild herps so I focused on captive ones. In one of restaurants I found Mauremys reevesii in aquarium together with Trachemys scripta, probably as future dishes.
ImageMauremys reevesii and Trachemys scripta by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Qinghefang street is famous for having very old pharmacies, of course they were pharmacies of traditional medicine. In one of them I found Naja atra in a jar with ginseng.
ImageNaja atra by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageNaja atra by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

There were many shops and some of them had turtles in tiny aquariums. :(
ImageMauremys sinensis and Trachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr
Michal Szkudlarek

Shanghai

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm

We arrived to Shanghai at evening so we went to a restaurant there for a supper. When my family was waiting for our meal I explored the area around and photographed captive Lithobates catesbeianus which were sold as food.
ImageLithobates catesbeianus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageLithobates catesbeianus by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

The next day, in the morning I took a subway to get to a city park with a pond that allegedly hosted a Chinese Softshell Turtle. Unfortunately I didn't find that species. Nevertheless I found Mauremys reevesii, Pelophylax plancyi and Trachemys scripta elegans. The Mauremys was in a bad shape, it was hardly moving. Ah, and there was someone practising Tai Chi.

ImageMauremys reevesii by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Mauremys reevesii and Trachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

freshly metamorphosed

Imagehabitat of Pelophylax plancyi, Mauremys reevesii and Trachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then I took a subway to go to botanical garden. When going from subway station to the botanical garden I noticed a shallow artificial water body that was created accidentally- because drainage was not working properly. It had tadpoles and freshly metamorphosed Fejervarya multistriata.
Imagehabitat of Fejervarya multistriata by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

ImageFejervarya multistriata by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

this one had a stripe on its back

as you see pupils are heart-shaped

Inside the botanical garden, near a greenhouse there were some small, man-made ponds without fish. I found there many tadpoles some of which belonged to Microhyla genus.

habitat

In the garden one could visit several glasshouses and smaller gardens that one had to pay to enter. Unfortunately not all of them were opened when I was there. Carnivorous plants glasshouse was unfortunately not completely finished, nevertheless I saw there many different species of tropical pitcher plants. There was also a small glasshouse for cacti. In general the botanical garden was not crowded which was a great. The botanical garden is huge and I saw people using something like golf-carts for transportation within it. In bonsai garden I visited a small museum, admired many bonsai trees and found Fejervarya multistriata and Pelophylax plancyi.

Imagehabitat of Fejervarya multistriata by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Pelophylax plancyi by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

In the botanical garden I admired ferns and bamboos and learned things from information boards, however they had language errors- it is common in China. Of coruse gingko trees could be found. There were older people doing Tai Chi and cats eating what people left for them. Then I went to Yu Yuan Garden but it was already closed unfortunately, same with City God Temple. I found T. s. elegans nearby though.
ImageTrachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Imagehabitat of Trachemys scripta elegans by Michał Szkudlark, on Flickr

Then I went to The Bund to see old buildings along that waterfront and to famous Nanjing Road but it was too crowded so I decided to return to hotel. The next day we took a train to Beijing and a flight from Beijing to Ulanbaatar. However in Mongolia we didn't leave airport becasue we had no visas. Then a plane travel to Europe.
Michal Szkudlarek

Re: China 2019

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks for sharing! For sure an interesting trip :-) Those markets where they sell all types of herps for different purposes, that hurts a bit... :-/
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Return to Herping in the rest of the world