Israel- Eilat- in winter

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Israel- Eilat- in winter

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat May 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi
I spent the last New Year Eve in Eilat. The weather was pleasant and it was my first visit in Israel. Unfortunately I found only one species of herptile in wild.

The first day was dedicated to a visit in Underwater Observatory Park. I was able to observe wild coral reef inhabitants in there.

On the second day I went to Holland Park. Plants there are watered so that place is more green than in surroundings. In the park you can learn about plants and animals that live there.

Then I went to a botanical garden nearby. It was cool but not big. Being located at a hill it allowed me to see Aqaba (Jordan). Then I tried to find mastigures in a wildlife reserve dedicated to these animals. Unfortunately it was not warm enough, it seems. So I didn't find any.

Then I went to an ornithological wildlife reserve nearby but again, no herps. Back in the city center of Eilat I took photos of Um Rush Rush monument. I also visited a local museum.

The next day was for Timna Park. We took a car and headed north. Near entrance there were figures depicting ancient Egyptians so we stopped there and since it was sunny, under a shrub, I found the only wild herptile of the trip basking- an adult of Acanthodactylus opheodurus.

In the headquarters of that park there were snake-like ancient artifacts shown at mini-exhibition.

When traveling across the Park, looking at landforms, I spotted Capra nubiana. When we were returning to Eilat we stepped into Hai Bar Wildlife Reserve that has ostriches and other animals. However it was about to be closed so I just bought plushy salamandra and a pocket guide to common amphibians and reptiles of Israel and returned to Eilat.

The next day we traveled by car north to see Dead Sea.

The following day we went to Red Canyon, it was not a bad day because the canyon was cool and we found wild hyraxes. After that we went to Hai Bar Wildlife Reserve. On our way there there were signs asking drivers to drive slowly because Spiny-Tailed Lizards bask on road- unfortunately not in winter, when we were there.

On the next day we went snorkeling bit south of Eilat. The coral reef was beautiful. I even found a moray eel. Unfortunately our underwater camera was not charged so no photos from snorkeling :( After that we went to try to find bikes for rent but we didnt find anything.

The next day I went hiking north of Eilat- Holland Park and surroundings. I didnt find any herptiles unfortunately so I only have photos of information boards. :(

That was my last day in Israel so that is all.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Near and Middle East