A bit of winter sun

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

A bit of winter sun

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I was lucky enough to be taken to Lanzarotte last week by my lovely girlfriend ( I am worth it :D ) I expected the heptofauna to be relatively easy to find, as I have experienced on some of the other Canary Islands.. However this was not the case..

The weather was a lovely 22 degrees, much nicer than the chilly 9 degrees at home, as I set off to find suitable habitat.. I was lucky enough to be staying well away from the tourist areas, so undisturbed habit was quite easy to find.

IMG_2670 copy.jpg
atlantica habitat

I had brief sightings of gallotia atlantica, however they were very wary, a complete contrast to the boisterous and very approachable gallotia galloti I have seen in Tenerife or dugesii in Madeira. I kept at it, finding lots of scolopendra,
IMG_2706.JPG
which to be honest make me run away like a girl... and finally managed to get close to some as the day cooled.
IMG_2624 copy.jpg

IMG_2717 copy.jpg

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2756 copy.jpg

Each night I studied the walls and trees on route back to our hotel, hoping to see Tarentola angustimentalis, with no luck..

I decided to visit some other habitat further round the coast, and after convincing my girlfriend to leave the pool and take a lovely romantic walk with me along the coastline, finally found a small area with a very large population of Tarentola angustimentalis.. she was not overly impressed with the little brown lizards, and could not understand my excitment.. still I cant get excited about horses :D
IMG_2732 copy.jpg

IMG_2674 copy.jpg

IMG_2676 copy.jpg

IMG_2734 copy.jpg

IMG_2737 copy.jpg

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2754 copy.jpg

I did not try for Chalcides simonyi as I had pushed my luck enough :D I think a trip to Fuertaventura is called for...
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: A bit of winter sun

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Looks like you've had some nice time, Paul! The fact that the animals are not that easy to find , like on the other islands, makes it more rewarding when you actually do! Very good finds and the habitat also looks very interesting!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Return to Herping in the rest of the world