First fieldherping trip in 2011

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Baltic Republics

First fieldherping trip in 2011

Postby Daniel Claesson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Today i had some time over before i needed to be at work, so decided to visit a know good spot for Vipera berus, Natrix natrix and Zootoca vivipara.

I dropped off the girlfriend at her work and began to drive out to the "hotspot" which is located near the city i work in. After about 20 min i was there.
Time of arrival was about 8 in the morning. Weather was fantastic and i could feel the heat of the sun.

This is the habitat, snow and ice was still present. But i had my hopes up.

After only about 2 minutes of searching i found the first adder. What a success. Finally, spring is here.

After a photo session with that individual and of course the happy texting on the phone to friends. I continued to search for more adders. It didn't take long to find the second, the third and a fourth adder. Camera and phone was frequently used. With in an hour i had found not one but four healthy adders. I was extremely happy.

With me on this little herping trip was my soon to be expert snake finder :roll: Training will begin this spring. The goal is to teach her to find Coronella austriaca. Well if i/we can make that happen is another story :lol:

Regards
Daniel
Daniel Claesson

Hometown: Kalmar

Re: First fieldherping trip in 2011

Postby Miqe Erikzen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:30 am

Nice pictures, Daniel!
Miqe Erikzen

Hometown: Knutby

Postby Daniel Kane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 am

Some great photos there Daniel! Looks like a really nice place, is it next to the sea? I think I like the black berus photo the most.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Mourits Løvholt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Nice pictures! :)
Sincerely

Mourits
Mourits Løvholt

Hometown: Greve Strand

Postby Daniel Claesson » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks, yes this i a coastline between mainland Sweden and the island "Öland". The water between is called Kalmarsund.
This wonderful place is located about 20 km north of Kalmar city.

I have been visiting this place for almost 10 years now and it have always delivered :D

The main habitat i visit when i'm there is not more then 100m of coastline. The adders is found all over the place but these 100m is always rewarding to take a look at.

Regards
Daniel
Daniel Claesson

Postby Daniel Claesson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am

I visited the same place about the same time (around 08.00) today. Weather is very good today to, no wind and a clear sky. Temp in the air is around 10 degrees celsius.
I didn't have my tempgun with me but i suspect that on the ground where the sun hits it's up to and maybe over 20 degrees celsius. It felt very hot at least.

This time i found 3 adders within an hour and all of them where melanistic. Today they where more aware of their surroundings and did crawl away quickly after i had spotted them. So no good photos of them. The 3rd i found i didn't even had a chance to photograph.

But the first two i did manage to photograph. They was found very close together.
Can you see them...

I also found some more "evidence" that spring has arrived.

That was all for this time.

Regards
Daniel
Daniel Claesson

Return to Northern Europe