just some lizards from Egypt

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

just some lizards from Egypt

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:31 pm

I spent a week snorkeling in the Red Sea. No fish pics, although the colours of the coral reefs and its in habitants are FANTASTIC! Just like in any documentary. Even got to get cozy with Nemo ;). This was a week to celibrate my mother's 60th birthday, which made it impossible to escape most of the time. I went out with a driver for 1 day in the desert, but unfortunately no nocturnalism :cry: .

This part of Egypt has no amphibians and only 20-30 reptile species. Apart from what's in the pictures, I missed %$µ£ing Eretmochelys imbricata by a hair twice. :x My evil family did not want to do the silly 1,5h drive to go snorkeling with Chelonia mydas (resident population of 20-30 animals feeding on sea grass beds), and I (like for the first time ever!) saved it myself for another day to avoid the nagging and complaining of my mother... Only saw a (nice) track of Cerastes cerastes and skin of some kingsize colubrid. The only snake observation I made was a speedy Psammophis aegyptius (I think) in the resort's garden.

Here are a few pictures, a few more incl. names (please correct me!) at ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/jeroenspeybroeck/201110Egypt#

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: just some lizards from Egypt

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Can anyone confirm whether the 2 animals in the 6th picture are both Tropiocolotes steudneri? I was wondering if the one on the right could be a baby Stenodactylus.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Bader » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Jeroen!

Nice pictures. I think you are right by most of the pictures, but I can't tell the difference between H. turcicus and H. robustus.
To me both are Tropicolotes.

I know how it is not to be allowed to search in such an area...
Thomas
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks, Thomas! I am actually responsible for the lack of a tail of that robustus :oops: . The fact that it has less pointy tubercles on its back and had :oops: >14 rings on the tail points towards robustus. I think you are right about the Tropi. Just a little, little doubt...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Jeroen, I suppose even your weekly shopping at the local supermarket would result in a cool report :)
But anyhow: very nice geckoes - would be interesting to have a closer look at that area...
Thanks for sharing.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ross Padilla » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:22 am

Awesome!
Ross Padilla

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 am

Hi Jeroen! Very nice pics, it´s a pity that you couldn´t make a nocturnal expedition...

The third (I think like you) Tropiocolotes steudneri (2 individuals).

It would have been very cool to get a photo of a aegyptian Cerastes cerastes. In Israel they have blue marks and in Lybia I´ve seen a photo of a specimen with blue marks and without horns, so in Egypt this species should be also very variable and spectacular. Also it´s a pity that you didn´t find one of the most beautiful agamids in the world, the Pseudotrapelus sinaitus. I just saw subadults in Israel and it was a pity because the adult males are AWESOME!! (just common east of Nile river)

Cheers and thanks for show us these pictures :)

Gabri
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 am

Gabriel Martínez wrote:Hi Jeroen! Very nice pics, it´s a pity that you couldn´t make a nocturnal expedition...

The third (I think like you) Tropiocolotes steudneri (but 2 individuals, Stenodactylus species are very different).

It would have been very cool to get a photo of a aegyptian Cerastes cerastes. In Israel they have blue marks and in Lybia I´ve seen a photo of a specimen with blue marks and without horns, so in Egypt this species should be also very variable and spectacular. Also it´s a pity that you didn´t find one of the most beautiful agamids in the world, the Pseudotrapelus sinaitus. I just saw subadults in Israel and it was a pity because the adult males are AWESOME!! (just common east of Nile river)

Cheers and thanks for show us these pictures :)

Gabri
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 am

Thomas, why did You write
it is not to be allowed to search in such an area.
?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Thomas Bader » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Dear Michal!

Family holidays - my family is not very happy, when I am always absent - being herping all the time.
I`ve been to really good spots by didn't dare to search a lot.
There are not so many opportunities for a secret removal...

So I decided to do one 100% herp holiday (without family) a year.
I guess when my children grow older they will support my hobby (hopefully)
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Next

Return to North Africa