Solo-Tour Alps 11.&12.08.2012

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Solo-Tour Alps 11.&12.08.2012

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Michael Glass wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Michael Glass wrote:There is even a difference between Nuremberg and Berlin animals - particularly in terms of pattern.

Well, yes, there most be some genetic factor that determines the % of black ones in a population, as well as the occurrence of those "silver bullets" ...

I have found black ones in other populations nearby - particularly a strange example that looked like a natrix. (Will search for the pic @home).
The "silver bullet" is the standard look also here in Nuremberg after their first shed in spring. Same holds for the males I've seen in Saxony's mountainsides.

Well, our populations and consequently number of observed individuals are rather small, but as far as I know, black ones and SBs have never(!) been observed in Belgium...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Kane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Michael Glass wrote:The others are all wide-angle in-situ shots... my fear is, they will reveal the spot. :?

Ah ok, no problem then. I did not realise that all your other photos were wide-angle. As for the head shape in the snakes I believe it is influenced by prey choice/availability. Not sure where I read it, but I think that common sense suggests that populations will adapt to their own particular environments - I suppose in a similar way to speciation (in that populations adapt to their own separate conditions).

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Well, our populations and consequently number of observed individuals are rather small, but as far as I know, black ones and SBs have never(!) been observed in Belgium...

Jeroen, if you have no silver bullets in Belgium are all your males a dull-grey colour (such as the ones you posted on Fieldherpforum last year)?
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Daniel Kane wrote:Jeroen, if you have no silver bullets in Belgium are all your males a dull-grey colour (such as the ones you posted on Fieldherpforum last year)?

Yes, I can only post dull ones :lol:
Brown, usually. Below 2 somewhat not so dull ones...

Actually from NW France (possible different subclade, sensu Ursenbacher et al.) =>

A rather young one from S Belgium =>

The only one I have from N Belgium :oops: (after a disk crash...), but female
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:37 pm

To compare a few from SW germany - black forest :) (altitude from 800-1000m)

berus-compilation.jpg
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Heiko Wehner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi!

Nice pictures. I'd love to see some adders again, but sadly I have no time for such trips at the moment, so it's all frogs and toads for me :lol:

Regards,

Heiko
Heiko Wehner

Hometown: Marburg

Previous

Return to Central Europe