The Netherlands, June 2012

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

The Netherlands, June 2012

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:49 pm

In mid June I went to a a family meeting to my childhood home country, the Netherlands. I hadn't been in this country for almost 20 years and my girlfriend never, so we decided to make a one week holiday of it. After seeing family and friends we drove to the southernmost tip of the country, an area called Zuid-Limburg. Besides being the most beautiful part of the country, this area is also home to the coolest herp species. I had especially two species in my mind, Bombina variegata and Alytes obstetricans. Both are hard-core rarities in the Netherlands and found only in Zuid-Limburg, but with some research done beforehand AND good luck, I was able to find both species relatively easily.

Yellow-bellied toad (Bombina variegata). Very active little critters and fun to watch. :mrgreen:
Also Zootoca vivipara was present. And Rana temporaria.

The very secretive midwife toad (Alytes obstetricans) was a bit more difficult. There was one breeding pond very near to our B&B. During my first visit there I heard about 10 males calling, but it wasn't until the following night when I finally spotted one. This male had a strange tumour or something on his head, but seemed to be healthy otherwise. And he was carrying eggs ;)
Habitat. I also found alpine newts (Ichthyosaura alpestris) and a green frog (Pelophylax sp.)
Pelophylax sp. Most likely esculenta.
To be continued.
Tom Hoogesteger

Hometown: Jarvenpaa

Re: The Netherlands, June 2012

Postby Ray Hamilton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am

Congratulations on your finds.

Certainly looks like a beautiful area. Have you any more shots of the landscape you could include.Thanks.
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you, Ray. Here you go:

After the beautiful South-Limburg we went to a very different, and less attractive, part of the country. A brief visit to my childhood hometown, Lelystad. Definately not a herping paradise, but I had one more much wanted lifer in my mind, Bufo calamita, a species that is known to inhabit parts of this town. In the darkness of the night I managed to sneak out to search for the urban natterjack toads. The weather conditions happened to be perfect, it was a warm night after a rainy day, and I was very happy with the results.

That night I also heard some marsh frogs (Pelophylax ridibundus) calling. The next day I got a quick glimpse of one during daylight and managed to get this distant picture.

That's all.
Here is the complete list of observed herp species during my one week trip to the Netherlands:

Lissotriton vulgaris
ichthyosaura alpestris
Bufo bufo
Bufo calamita
Bombina variegata
Alytes obstetricans
Rana temporaria
Pelophylax kl. esculentus
Pelophylax ridibundus
Zootoca vivipara
Anguis fragilis
Tom Hoogesteger

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:56 am

Here is a little video from the Alytes-habitat, taken by my girlfriend. A number of males can be heard calling, one very close to the camera. This was an awesome experience, that has made Alytes obstetricans one of my favourite species.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30008608@N07/7863825348/
Tom Hoogesteger

Postby Ray Hamilton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for that.

South-Limburg reminds me of the Cotswolds in appearance. Nice shot of the Natterjack scuttling off.
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Nice to see a report here from "home", Zuid-Limburg is also in my top-three of nicest places in Holland along with the Veluwe and Waddeneilanden. Strange lumb on the Alytes's head indeed!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Return to Central Europe