Natrix natrix, early mating season (2012 Denmark)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Natrix natrix, early mating season (2012 Denmark)

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

Hey everybuddy :)

The pictures was taken: 27/03-2012

This day the weather was sunny and i had been longing for a field trip for a long time; but I was very tired from yesterday’s work, so I did
not feel like hiking through kilometers of habitat. Instead I chose to go into stealth mode in the reed beds at Hov Vig (the local bird
sanctuary). It was very nice to sit down the same place without having any particular goals for my twitching that day. Instead of searching
I just shot whatever animals that came by. I saw (approx. 20+) Pelophylax kl. Esculentus, various birds and plenty Natrix natrix specimens,
(approx. 15-20), and what a sight! The mating season had started - way earlier than I expected.

I haven’t encountered any other grass snake mating episodes in 2012, only this one so far. But I have heard of others in Denmark, (01/04
I saw N. natrix mating documentation on facebook from another hobby herpetologist). No matter what; it’s early to find grass snakes
mating in March.

PS: Today I used my 55–200mm zoom lens. Normally I feel constricted when I use it, (I can’t get any nearer than 1.5 meters), but
today I had no need for close-up shots. I did not want to disturb the snakes, so a distance of approx. 3 meters was appropriate. The
weather was calm; almost no wind with temperatures about 9° Celsius, the clock was almost 12:00am.

The first Natrix natrix i encountered, it was lying on a rod in the reed beds

Mating action! In March, thats the spirit!

The males fought to get the best position

Grass snakes mating dosen't seem to notice much, but anyway they just had to check what i was doing

Closeup of the female.

The lucky male. :)

Another female with her two suitors.

A male struggles to get ahead

Various tail shots

More can be read here: http://herp-spot.weebly.com/270312.html
Greetings Mikkel Frederiksen - Denmark
http://www.herp-spot.weebly.com
Mikkel Frederiksen

Hometown: Nykoebing Sj.

Re: Natrix natrix, early mating season (2012 Denmark)

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Very cool!!!
I spend too much time the past Days in looking for viperas, I have to change that.
I`m sure my Natrix allready out and work! ;)

Have you also observed that most of the time the females were checking the area?
Males don`t see anything in that time of the year, love-blind!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Great pictures plus observations, would really love to see that someday!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am

Very nice observation, thanks a lot for sharing and adding some interesting information. I love the bluish scales. What's the earliest mating season you observed for N.natrix in Denmark?
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Very cool!!!
I spend too much time the past Days in looking for viperas, I have to change that.
I`m sure my Natrix allready out and work! ;)

Have you also observed that most of the time the females were checking the area?
Males don`t see anything in that time of the year, love-blind!!

In DK Vipers are everywhere these days, and due to the cold temperature (at the moment) they are very easy to photograph. But
mating Vipera berus specimens at this time of the year; would be something I could only only hope for, it's to early. Within a month
they should beginto mate. I have many V. berus documentations from 2012 - and I always find it more interesting to photograph grass
snakes in the beginningof the season. They re harder to find, much more alert asf. But yes, you are right about the sexes, males are
loveblinded at this time of the year!

Bobby Bok wrote:Great pictures plus observations, would really love to see that someday!

Thanks for the compliment :)

Guillaume Gomard wrote:Very nice observation, thanks a lot for sharing and adding some interesting information. I love the bluish scales. What's the earliest mating season you observed for N.natrix in Denmark?

Hmm, I have to say this one.. 2012 has been a crazy year in Denmark. We have to go 20'years back in time to find a similar year.
And I don'tremember that, I am born i 84'. This year spring started in March. Normally i first encounter mating grass snakes during
april, (mostly at the end of apríl).
Greetings Mikkel Frederiksen - Denmark
http://www.herp-spot.weebly.com
Mikkel Frederiksen

Hometown: Nykoebing Sj.

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

In Poland something similar- it is one of the warmest spring through more than 20 years! R. arvalis was observed on land at 10.03.2012. B. bufo spawn at 27.03.2012. Yesterday with air temperature 12*C, short little rain, and cloudy weather only several B. bufo males were found at this lake. Found also strange bubble spawn of R. temporaria. It is probably caused by water pollution.
Greets
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Central Europe