colors of autumn

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

colors of autumn

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 pm

4 females from saturday and sunday :D
DSC_2634.JPG

DSC_2490.JPG

P1180828.JPG

P1180855.JPG

I choose these 4 because .... the pics from the others look ugly :D
I just choose females because I only got one "good" shot from a male...and found only one subadult
I choose no babys because the all look the same - nearly
well, at least the first female is well known so I write down more about her later ...
the second one is not very old...dont know if I have much info about her - i just know that I tried to get a shot of her for weeks :lol:
the third one .. so far I dont know who it is
the last one....I guess well known...lets see :mrgreen:
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Re: colors of autumn

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok, NO.3 is KK74
very interesting because sometimes less is more :roll:
I saw that girl in spring and autumn 2012 about 100m away in the same winter den area - that´s it.
knowing that place since 2006, it soon became the heart of my study area ... or I soon realized that this was the heart of a huge population.
at least for spring and autumn, no matter how how busy I am, if I visit that pop I visit that spot ...
and now looking at the size of that female I wonder why I couldn´t not find this one before 2012 and even a better question: why I wasn´t able to find this one during the summer ... :D
Daniel Bohle

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Nice! .. i've been the last two days in the mountains and saw neither snake/berus nor lizard/vivipara.. :roll:
Last time in spring i had teh feeling, that your posts indicate, that one can successfully visit those german lowland-pupulations far earlier (and likely longer) in the year than "our" mountain ones .. (let's say in average ;) )
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 pm

NO. 1 is KE80
very very interesting because I saw this one the first time in late summer 2010 and wrote down it´s a baby from 2010...I know its possible to missjudge this but I feel quite safe :D
here is a pic ...
comp_DSC_0113.jpg

late autumn 2012 I found that young lady again - about 200m away at a typical winter den area
don´t know what happend in spring because I wasn´t there (at the right time)
but in summer I found that lady gravid about 375 away across a big grassland
during the summer it moved two times for about 100m until it dropped of the baby´s...somewhere ;-D
on saturday I found it about 275m away from the last spot where I saw it gravid...and today it moved another 100m to be "close" to the spot where I saw it in 2012.
it looked really thin and the chance for her to make it will be not very high...
whatever, so she moved about 925m this year and reproduced with just 3 years - some may think thats impossible but this is not the only case I saw over tha last years ;)
Daniel Bohle

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 am

Impressive !
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 am

Very cool give me hope to see some tommorow for the last time this year. But 20°C and a few clouds should make this possible :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

Beautiful.
The first two are awesome...
Matthieu Berroneau

Hometown: Bordeaux

Postby Alexandre Roux » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:15 pm

I must stop sleeping ! How wonderful these adders are ! Especially the first and the second !
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Daniel Bohle wrote:so she moved about 925m this year and reproduced with just 3 years - some may think thats impossible but this is not the only case I saw over tha last years ;)

Interesting! In addition to the pictures and the specimens, which are great, I'm really impressed by the number of data you collected so far at your local populations. Good job, Daniel :!:
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Daniel Bohle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 pm

thanks for the replies ;)
I´m tired now - so just one more female for today ...

N0.2 is KW114

that one seems to be born in 2011 where I found it close to the spot where she is sunbathing the last 4 weeks - this area is around 100m away from the main winter den
over the years just a few animals where found here. a lot of traffic and not much sun seems to be not very attractive :geek:
DSC_0318.JPG

about - didn´t measured it - 200 to 300m away, at a typical summer location I found her again in 2012 looking huge for her age
DSC_3290.JPG

a year later at the same spot I found her again, not knowing who it was I labeld this one as "gravid". to bad that I just have a headshot and not more
but looking at her now, looking at her age and keeping in mind that I just saw her once this summer it must be a mistake and she never was gravid this year
so, thats why I always say its not easy to judge if they are garavid or not until you find them in autumn thin like N0.1 or 4. - or you have many obsersvations over the complete summer ;-D
Daniel Bohle

Next

Return to Central Europe