Stinky, dark project

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Stinky, dark project

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am

This year my focus was at Natrix natrix Population on a Lake close to my home village.
The Lake is about 90 km southwest of Munich.
I visited this area many times in the past years and was always surprised about how big the Population is and about the colour and marking variations of the Natrix there.
Three years ago I found at the best day 53 individuals (from young to adult) in 2 hours.
But most of the time when I made a round walk I found between 20 and 30 individuals.
I have no Idea how big this population is, but I think there are between 40 and 60 snakes in breeding size and a nobody can count number of juveniles.

In the past years the breeding season starts in the middle/End of March and it was easily to observe a female with six and more males.
But in this horrible year for fieldherpers everything was different.
The winter period was until the end of March, than we had dry and sunny three weeks in April and than rain and cold temperatures came back until the middle of May. Day temperatures in the beginning of May about 10 Degrees, night about five Degrees.
The mating season starts in the middle of April and most of the time I saw a female with one male, rarely a female and two males.
The last mating I observed in the End of May.

The west side.
This is the trail for the public. Especially on the weekend you see many people there with bikes, dogs, kids.
You can found a few Natrix there, also Anguis fragilis and Lacerta agilis. I never saw a Zootoca vivipara there!

The south Side
This is a flat water area where many Pelophylax occur. On other places around the lake
you don`t found frogs. Some Years ago the Pelophylax were around the lake, but there are also a fishing club at the lake and they introduced a lot of pikes so from year to year there a less Pelophylax around.

The east side
This is the place where the most Natrix occur, also Anguis fragilis and Zootoca vivipara. I never saw a Lacerta agilis there!
On the east side are also some pounds and puddles where Bombina variegata, Rana temporaria and Bufo bufo occur.
A few years ago I found also a Vipera berus there.

On the north side is the wall. There is the only place were Zootoca vivipara and Lacerta agilis occur together on the Lake. I found also Natrix natrix and Anguis fragilis there, east of it Vipera berus.

During late Spring/beginning of summer most of the adult Natrix left the Lake and go up to the wooded hills area.

I liked very much to make pictures with more than one Natrix.

Sometimes, if you wait long enough you get more than two.

These two individuals are about 60 cm long, two weeks before I pictured a big one on the same place. When you compare these two pics you can image how big the old lady is.

I also liked too picture Natrix with other herps.
Natrix with Anguis fragilis under a board

Natrix with Anguis fragilis in the sun

Natrix with Bufo bufo

I know some populations north of the Lake. When you find one Natrix you know how the other looks like. Maybe one of them looks a little bit lighter or darker, but all in all they look the same.

On that Lake it is very different, you have of course “normals” a few with strange markings and you have a lot of dark ones.
The dark ones was the main reason why I was picturing the Natrix this season.

Nice markings

Zick zack Band

Does anyone of you know something about the “Picturata-Phase”?
What is “Picturata”?
A black snake with brown/grey spots or a brown/grey Snake with black spots?
Is there any difference between melanistic (black) and Picturata???

Black?

Black with markings

Close up

Dark with markings

Close up

The blackest from the Lake

Close up

I found this snake a few days later and she was not amused about that

Black with markings

Close up

Picturata?

Close up

Body shot

Picturata

Black or Picturata?

Close up

Picturata

Body shot

Picturata?

Close up

Nice looking Lady with alot of black on the back

An other one

A female with a lot of black scales

Close up

Body shot

My favorite mixed colored Natrix

Close up

If anyone of you knows something about the picturata-Morph or have any idea about it please let me know!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Re: Stinky, dark project

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 pm

This is what I call field work! I have no idea of picturata or any other morphe but this is a five star report.
Thanks for sharing.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Now that`s a sweet sight right there. :D Any more flipped pics?

Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Yes - as Peter wrote :o
Really fieldwork! Visiting the same location for many years and many times a year to check population density, etc.
Really great! Keep on doing this!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 pm

I can only repeat what has already been written - great work!

Do you have in mind making some statistics? For example combining Temperature/Weather with sightings/sex/..
Nonplusultra would be a infrared thermomether for measuring the surface temperature. Unfortunately, afaik, you have to get very close to get more or less reliable data with the affordable ones.. or:
:? http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1221 ... D.ASTPCCP2
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:24 am

First: Thank you! :oops:

@Vlad, in this area I lift only one board, it is heavy, so I need both hands, no free hand for the camera. From time to time I`m fast enough to make a shot or two.
the best resaults under that borad: one time two Anguis fragilis, three Natrix and on an other day six Natrix!

@Gerald, this is "my Place", it`s my Oasis. I be there after I had stress at work, when I need a free mind or something like this, just for relaxing.
All I do at the lake is looking for fun, finding herps enjoy the nature.
I found always things that surprises me there. For example, in the beginning of May I was at the Lake temperatures was about 10 Degrees, totaly cloudy, a few sunray`s hit the ground from time to time and I found three Natrix outside!

btw. 123 Days = 01.03.2011 :evil: :( :evil:
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Andre Schmid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:49 am

Really impressive grassnakes and good work ! Like ever...black rocks :mrgreen:
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 am

As you know, it is not always funny to work with Natrix.
But I think I found a solution for the stinky Problem.
In the beginning of the season I was working with rubber gloves, but it doesn’t work well.
I try some other things like needles from a conifer, Lemon and some thing like this, but it helps just for a short time and than the putrid smell came back.
On a very warm Day I found three Natrix for my picture project, after I was ready with them my hands (and the camera) stinks like hell.
On the way back to the car I crossed a little creek and washed my hands in it.
Of course that was not a big help. Than I washed my hands with wet sand and gravel from the creek and after about a minute my hands were clean.
Try it, it works!!!!!!!!!!!

116 Days = 01.03.2011 :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Peter Oefinger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 am

Jürgen, the best is you learn to love the smell - as well as wet trousers and carrying several kilos of foto equipment: it's part of the game ;)

P.S.: Nice count-down!!!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Jürgen!

There are some really interesting and beautiful pics! To me the most astonishing ones are those which show an agressive display - I never saw that behaviour in N. natrix! Great!

Wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Next

Return to Central Europe